I found this assignment the hardest so far. The world of yarns was unknown to me in any depth, although I had spun a bit before. I found the research fascinating although have not written this up. I think one of the blocks I have on the research write ups is to do it with integrity rather than to ‘show’ an assessor that I have done the task. Some of the research I do is thorough, I read around and spent time on the internet clicking through websites and going off -piste. I don’t feel the need at that point to write things down or ‘discuss’ them. I do however need to consider hot to find a way to make this work for me. My instinct is to jot these notes down in a notebook rather than present them in a clear coherent manner on the blog.
I spent a lot of studio time at the start of the project trying to get my head around the making of yarns. I didn’t feel I was doing it right. It wasn’t until delving into knotting techniques in the Re-interpret exercise that I understood the potential more. However I was focussed more on learning the techniques and feel that I didn’t get to really explore the idea of ‘re-interpreting and re-inventing’ to its’ full potential.
I think my strengths here was that I persevered despite some real resistance at the beginning! This has been a huge learning curve, not necessarily in the techniques and creative outcomes but in terms of learning how I go about my own creative practice. The areas where I struggle, the ebbs and flows. Although I feel this assignment isn’t complete, it has had a strong effect on how I approach my work.
What I feel is incomplete:
My research file – I have not written this up, although I did look into the research point at the start of this assignment, as well as investigate the techniques in Exercise 4.3 and research the yarn constructions in Exercise 4.5 Collage-inspired yarn
I have only just skimmed the surface in the tasks in Project 2:
I could investigate Exercise 4.3 further paying closer attention to the challenge to re-interpret the Rubens’ painting.
I would like to refine techniques that I have begun to explore further and to revisit Exercise 4.4 – Deconstructing colour as yarn. I thought there was more scope than I got to investigate. For instance I could have spent time not only manipulating and deconstructing the linens but careful taking apart the threads and then plying them with others, or spinning them with wool to mix colours together in a subtle way.
I have not presented my thoughts and outcomes on Exercise 4.5 Collage-inspired yarn although I did work on this I have not written about in my blog as a post. I would like to spend more time research the yarn construction techniques and practice these more.
I have only temporarily presented my work so far in order to send to my tutor. I have done this in a simple A3 sketchbook loosely taping my yarns in the pages. I think my final presentation would look best on some bigger A2 boards so as to give the yarns full room to ‘drop’ down on the page.
Reflection on Assessment Criteria
Demonstration of technical and visual skills – I did refine my drop spinning technique and used you tube tutorials to learn macrame and braiding. Some of this criteria and it’s outcomes overlaps how I have responded to the demonstration of creativity.
Many of these skills shown are new to me and lack a refinement.
Quality of outcome – I attempted to ‘match’ yarn designs and concepts not only with colour/texture but also the overall ‘vibe’ of the source material.
I am aware that I didn’t use a sketchbook at all for this assignment! I didn’t visually ‘plan’ my yarn concepts which I have seen other people doing the course work through and show this in their blogs. Did this hinder my conceptualisation of ideas?
I observed myself working intuitively with the materials. A lot of the thinking was happening through my choice of which yarns and materials to select for each task.
Demonstration of creativity – I did get more inventive as I gained confidence in the tasks; for instance using plastics, netting, raffia.
Exercise 4.4 Deconstructing colour as yarn – I ripped organza, found a selection of materials that I felt leant themselves to the colours and lightness of the watercolour inspired palettes. I made decisions and experimented bearing this aesthetic in mind.
I began to experiment with the collage inspired exercise ‘blindly’ working out how to create some of the effects similar to some of the yarn construction such as slit film yarns.
I could have pushed the boundaries further in Project 2 however I acknowledge that I was concentrating on gaining technical understanding of yarn concepts, of materials and of techniques. This took time and some ideas didn’t get to be investigated.
Having said this, I do feel that my work and making does carry a personal voice. I can see ‘my hand’ in how I approach the exercises. I can see similarities and threads, a sensibility and sense of aesthetic that is running through my assignments.
Context – Using the macrame and braiding I felt were the right selection from my research. I returned to the neutral palette investigations and build on my yarn designs with my newly learnt knotting techniques.
I re-visited my spinning technique (which I had forgotten) through research and practice.
I am learning the importance to see my art practice as cyclical rather than linear. I persisted with certain ideas (again another new lesson learnt) even though at the time I thought it wasn’t working. I have discovered from previous reflection how important it is to persist, especially in times of resistance to certain exercises.
There is still more to be done in finding ways to write up what I am researching and reflecting. I have found using a notebook the best however this is not ideal for assessment purposes.