Assignment 2 – Final samples

** UPDATED – I don’t know how I have done this, but cannot find any photos of my final samples and they have already been packaged and sent **

Piece 1

Influenced by the collage drawing of a vase of flowers, I zoomed in to a random pinky/red part of the collage.

I wanted to explore how to create this sense of fibres, tone, transparency and found using dissolvable film a way to focus on creating a whole piece of fibre, I intertwined wool and cotton threads. Once I had washed it and dried this I pinned and sewed this on to organza to mimic the thin tissue paper I had used in the collage.

I went back to this piece later on and added little ochre stitches close together to create small patches of tone.

I feel that this sample needs more work and revisiting, especially since I didn’t manipulate my base material!


  • I revisited this by photocopying and then playing with adding colour, just little splashes of ochre. I then continued to stitch into it further following my drawing.


Piece 2

The second piece was a culmination of looking at the 3 images I had chosen in particular to inform my decisions, and the words that describe the watercolour drawing I had made. To find ways to create

I had experimented with denim and then found a linen that looked like denim but was less robust and moved a little more freely. I punctured this with a needle, similar to one of my earlier paper manipulations. I also spent some time fraying the edges as I wanted to create a torn effect a little like the collage I was using as one of the main pieces to inform the sample.

I folded and pinned this and focused on making light stitches, angular with ochre coloured threads. I used a range of cotton and yarn, sometimes doubled up. The randomness of the stitches create a light, playful look.

This piece developed and my focus was influenced by my research on Celia Pym, where some of my stitches hopefully began to mimic.

I then used a combination of even smaller stitches and French knots to create the overlay of redness, to create a sense that there is pink/red everywhere but yet translucent.

Again, I think I could overlay even further with more stitching on this piece.

*UPDATE – I revisited this again, photocopying what I had so far and painted on the photocopies. I decided to add more stitching over the whole piece, to bring together the different parts adding more red/pink and yellow stitches.

Piece 3

My final piece was a development from the second where I became increasingly focussed on how to create movement but also influenced from my first piece and the collage image of the flowers. I found using velvet connected with the words I had chosen to describe my image selections and an answer to exploring soft/delicate against heavy and bold. Velvet is a weighty fabric yet has connotations of elegance and is very tactile.

I used discharge to make marks and echo triangles to keep the fabric more playful. I also folded and pinned the velvet accentuating the triangle concept.

I tried out different ideas and samples, I thought I would go back to the first sample/drawing and investigate the pink/red mark making as an overlay. I also experimented with machine stitch, french knots but nothing was coming up so I have chosen to send the sample as a final piece to my tutor. I hope that with some distance and feedback I can find a way forward with this piece that remains very much unfinished.


UPDATE: I looked into smocking and created a much more formal smocking piece, into which I used mainly yellow embroidery threads to highlight the triangular tips. This piece out of all of them was the most consistent in overall look and feel.