Part 3 had been a whirlwind. As always, I wish I could spend more time than I have on the tasks. I feel that I am reflecting on this at a point where it is 80% complete. I would like to return and update these reflections once I complete the colour book.
I was surprised how much I enjoyed studying the colour in the Rubens painting. I would have happily spent more time on that, playing around with the different ratios of colour. It had so much depth. The more I looked at it the more I could see different colours and tones that I hadn’t picked out before. I have certainly gained more knowledge on the use and application of gouache and watercolour, the properties of colour mixing.
I have sent my incomplete book to my tutor. Despite picking up the pace a lot more in this assignment, I have still found it very hard to be bold with my selections. Learning how to choose what is priority to get everything done within the time allocated. I felt like I wanted to do more, explore more and play more, particularly with the yarn wraps and the collages.
So I would rather hand in the ‘book’ as is, since I am interested and excited at the prospect of considering presentation and layout. I have learnt that this part can often go unforgotten, and something I am clear and would like to focus on just as much as the making and the researching is how to communicate all that. I want to consider what are the moods of the colours I am presenting and what would suit best. I didn’t want to rush it for the sake of it. I feel there is a lot to learn in this area.
I have found it challenging to pick out my strengths here as I feel it is so unfinished and incomplete. I think some of my collage work has some interesting elements. With almost all of the tasks I found it imperative to try them out a few times. To do more than what is asked for as the first ones are often trials/getting it out of the way so to speak. More confidence is gained by trying this out, knowing that not everything hinges on one idea/experiment being ‘successful’. I am also learning to follow my own interest and voice. For instance although I did paint out some colour ‘swatches’ to use, cut and rip up. I was much more drawn to using found papers, old magazines or old art pieces.
To summarise what I feel is incomplete.
I have not:
- written up my research on artists (Research Point 1)
- Made and bound the book
- Stuck in my work and added labels, considering presentation of themes, aesthetic and layout.
Reflection against assessment criteria
- Demonstration of technical and visual skills – as I worked with the gouache, my understanding for its’ properties improved. The yarn wraps became less awkward the more I did them. My watercolour work needs some refinement and painting out stripes I realised I left some gaps in-between.
- Quality of outcome – although there is no finished book I think there are the beginnings of communicating my work with some sense of coherence. There is an emerging format
- Demonstration of creativity – this is probably strongest with the collages, especially the monochramatic and multi-coloured study. There is something about both that I have found to be my strongest pieces and I look forward to seeing how I can present them as a certain mood.
- Context- some of this has occurred in the making. I have found making notes the best way rather than only rely on the blog. The blog allows me to summarise, but as I am working and making and experimenting many decisions are being made that are not noted or articulated other than in the way they inform my next decision