Having tutor feedback, I am getting the idea to make sure I communicate clearly my intentions with what I am working with almost to exaggerate everything.
So for instance many of my samples are themselves ‘fragments’. They are off cuts from other pieces of work. I share a studio space with others, one of whom make costumes for reenactments. She has bags of bits of linen and felts.
As such I don’t even think about the ‘base’ piece itself, sometimes the size has already been dictated.
Responding to the point that I must emphasise the qualities of my samples; I already started sanding and heavily fraying some of my edges this afternoon. Many of my early visual responses I described as unfinished, suggested, trailing.. I don’t feel therefore that the final samples all necessitate strong highly defined borders.
I also went back to drawing to play around with ideas.
From my earlier experiments with stitch, yarns and netting concepts, I went back to the drawing board and played with composition ideas.
screenprint on card, drawn gouache shapes
screenprint on fabric, overplayed with tissue and stitched on top.
Screenprint and painted gouache
My tutor also advised I consider how to create fine pieces and then find ways to join them together. She suggested I look in to the fagotting technique which I did and experimented a little with in my book.
Quite soon I remembered the work I had done in assignment 2 with dissolvable film and immediately investigated the possibility of using this technique in a more refine way.
My tutor did point out that my work was perhaps a little tentative and stylised. I agree with this. I feel like I have to push for resolution if I want everything finished in time to send off by mid September. However I feel like I totally restricted myself into a corner by stylising. There’s a fine balance I am discovering between playing and experimenting and then refining work to a more resolved state!
I hope that as I work through the capsule collection, this opens up more and shows ore experimental risks.