Assignment 2 – Final samples

** UPDATED – I don’t know how I have done this, but cannot find any photos of my final samples and they have already been packaged and sent **

Piece 1

Influenced by the collage drawing of a vase of flowers, I zoomed in to a random pinky/red part of the collage.

I wanted to explore how to create this sense of fibres, tone, transparency and found using dissolvable film a way to focus on creating a whole piece of fibre, I intertwined wool and cotton threads. Once I had washed it and dried this I pinned and sewed this on to organza to mimic the thin tissue paper I had used in the collage.

I went back to this piece later on and added little ochre stitches close together to create small patches of tone.

I feel that this sample needs more work and revisiting, especially since I didn’t manipulate my base material!

 

  • I revisited this by photocopying and then playing with adding colour, just little splashes of ochre. I then continued to stitch into it further following my drawing.

 

Piece 2

The second piece was a culmination of looking at the 3 images I had chosen in particular to inform my decisions, and the words that describe the watercolour drawing I had made. To find ways to create

I had experimented with denim and then found a linen that looked like denim but was less robust and moved a little more freely. I punctured this with a needle, similar to one of my earlier paper manipulations. I also spent some time fraying the edges as I wanted to create a torn effect a little like the collage I was using as one of the main pieces to inform the sample.

I folded and pinned this and focused on making light stitches, angular with ochre coloured threads. I used a range of cotton and yarn, sometimes doubled up. The randomness of the stitches create a light, playful look.

This piece developed and my focus was influenced by my research on Celia Pym, where some of my stitches hopefully began to mimic.

I then used a combination of even smaller stitches and French knots to create the overlay of redness, to create a sense that there is pink/red everywhere but yet translucent.

Again, I think I could overlay even further with more stitching on this piece.

*UPDATE – I revisited this again, photocopying what I had so far and painted on the photocopies. I decided to add more stitching over the whole piece, to bring together the different parts adding more red/pink and yellow stitches.

Piece 3

My final piece was a development from the second where I became increasingly focussed on how to create movement but also influenced from my first piece and the collage image of the flowers. I found using velvet connected with the words I had chosen to describe my image selections and an answer to exploring soft/delicate against heavy and bold. Velvet is a weighty fabric yet has connotations of elegance and is very tactile.

I used discharge to make marks and echo triangles to keep the fabric more playful. I also folded and pinned the velvet accentuating the triangle concept.

I tried out different ideas and samples, I thought I would go back to the first sample/drawing and investigate the pink/red mark making as an overlay. I also experimented with machine stitch, french knots but nothing was coming up so I have chosen to send the sample as a final piece to my tutor. I hope that with some distance and feedback I can find a way forward with this piece that remains very much unfinished.

IMG_4080

UPDATE: I looked into smocking and created a much more formal smocking piece, into which I used mainly yellow embroidery threads to highlight the triangular tips. This piece out of all of them was the most consistent in overall look and feel.

Advertisements

Making connections

In the run up to sending everything off for this assignment I am writing a post to show clearer connections between my choices of fabric/textile base manipulations/stitch and yarn with my previous drawings.
I have mainly worked on folding, puncturing, slashing and markmaking through discharge as a follow on from some of my earlier paper manipulations.
The images below hopefully illustrate this better:

My textiles choices have been based on a selection from what I already had in the cupboard.
I opted for a selection to start:
Muslin, organza, linen, denim, velvet and a thicker woven cotton used for upholstery.
These were chosen as I felt they would both emulate the following qualities to work with:
Playful
Dynamic
Strong
Fragile
Delicate
Movement

I have become more and more focussed on the ‘triangles’ ‘that are evident in some of my earlier drawings and then emulated through puncturing and folding the paper with angles.