Making connections

In the run up to sending everything off for this assignment I am writing a post to show clearer connections between my choices of fabric/textile base manipulations/stitch and yarn with my previous drawings.
I have mainly worked on folding, puncturing, slashing and markmaking through discharge as a follow on from some of my earlier paper manipulations.
The images below hopefully illustrate this better:

My textiles choices have been based on a selection from what I already had in the cupboard.
I opted for a selection to start:
Muslin, organza, linen, denim, velvet and a thicker woven cotton used for upholstery.
These were chosen as I felt they would both emulate the following qualities to work with:
Playful
Dynamic
Strong
Fragile
Delicate
Movement

I have become more and more focussed on the ‘triangles’ ‘that are evident in some of my earlier drawings and then emulated through puncturing and folding the paper with angles.

Advertisements

Larger Samples

 

Having looked back through my drawings, as the task requested, I chose two different pieces to work from: a large ink drawing and a small etching on an inky background.

I thought one was interesting because of the different opacities I had gained – using the ink in a number of ways and I was interested to see how how I would translate this into stitch.

 

I prepared my paper by creasing and folding, based on one of my earlier paper manipulation samples. I thought this would achieve some of the dynamic qualities of the piece and create movement. I used a mixture of black threads and wool to create the variety that the depths of marks show on the paper.

The watery diluted geometric shapes in the corner of my drawing I translated by using plain cotton thread and created long line stitches side by side. I think this is the most successful of the stitches/marks I have interpreted.

I noticed with working on this exercise that I did get bored and fed up with working on them. They are not completely finished, but maybe that’s because I felt like I ‘got’ what I needed from them.

I finally decided to honour my unlinear way of working, and despite not having fully completed this task, nor spent much time ‘planning’ the assignment. I nonetheless decided to dive straight in.

Stitched Samples

 

As a follow on from my previous post – these are the images, some of work in progress others that are complete of my stitch samples. I struggles with these because I found it hard to keep up the focus in order to capture the marks.

I think I was still working (still am!) in a ‘literal’ way of trying to recreate the marks themselves and this means I sometimes lose sense of the aim to capture the actually qualities of those marks.

In the end I have had to accept that this is not my strong point but I have had to move on as I felt like I came to such a state of inertia with it!

IMG_3514

I did select from a number of threads (see title image), but when it came to it worked mostly with the black. I gathered black wool and different cottons and black threads. I doubled them up in some instances.

As suggested in the course book. I did indeed like the back just as much as the front of many of the samples!

I did select from a number of threads (see title image), but when it came to it worked mostly with the black. I gathered black wool and different cottons and black threads. I doubled them up in some instances.

The irony is that I really like the aesthetic qualities of these samples! Maybe they are ‘unfinished’ but I like these. I liked leaving all the threads on, especially with any machine stitching I did. They add another layer, a delicate and fragile quality to the work that I feel suited the images and close ups I chose.

IMG_3671

IMG_3673

IMG_3672

 

Reflecting on work so far – transferring marks into stitch samples

I am recognising that part of this creative block is probably due to the need to transfer my drawings and marks into stitch. I love stitch. I enjoy free motion embroidery. But was aware that the task was emphasising the practice of spending some time on hand stitch. I own and indeed enjoying reading and rereading my copy of “Slow Stitch” by Alice Kettle. I love the idea of it. I have thought about this and finally reflected that what happens is I have all of these ideas. I know what I want to explore, but hand stitching slows everything down so much, and then I once again experience this huge gap between what I am making and what I am envisaging. I guess because my time is so tight, I am a single mother to a two year old, and working too, I have very little time when I have the energy to focus on my own creativity. So I want it to be productive. I want it to have some pace and to feel a sense of achievement. If I think back to the Introductory assignment, I had a few drawings on the go at all times. I know I can get bored easily, so I have found a successful way around this in everything that I do, where I have lots of jobs on the go, where I can leave one task and put my energy into another so that I don’t spend too much time in some sort of unproductive inertia. I need to find a way of working with these stitch samples faster. I need to keep them on rotation and consider working in layers….