What also came up was a strategy that would help my way of working – where I have many ideas but often get caught up in not managing to realise them, is to decide on a certain restriction for myself when approaching the final section of Part 2.
Either based around the choice of source image (s), or colour palette, yarn, or material. Imposing a limitation will give me a better structure from which to work around.
These are the three images I chose to inspire me. I wrote post its with what qualities each one had that made me select them:
Flower collage: dynamic, sharp, contrast, soft, delicate, fragile, strong
Detail collage of blanket: colour palette, torn edges, lines
Square watercolour drawing: playful, movement, little marks.
Since I had already begun on the dynamic collage, following the discussion with my tutor I decided to get even more focussed on the aspect that interested and excited me the most- the red detail.
I experimented a lot with different pink and red coloured threads and used free motion stitch and dissolvable fabric, Muslim and organza.
I felt these fabrics best replicated the delicacy and fragility of the piece that I wanted to capture.